Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Spyware Nightmare

Written Oct 20, 2005

Beware of istbar!

It's pathetic that some companies would go all the way to install some malicious software in people's computer in hope that they'll get some vital information to exploit. I've been using the computer since God knows when but never had much difficulty with spywares since they used to be easily removed by anti-spyware products. However at the end of my long vacation, my younger sister told me that my pc is infected by a trojan virus that was prompted by my anti-virus software.

Of course I was alarmed and tried to remove the virus but to no avail. My instant thought of its source was a spyware from the net that was installed unknowingly. I checked on the add/remove programs in my control panel, and there it was... istbar. I did the usual stuff in attempting to remove it. I tried to uninstall the product but it wont. Tried running adaware, spybot, yahoo antispy, 2 other antivirus softwares, etc. Still it couldnt eliminate the virus. I researched for the source of the software and went to their site and found a program that would uninstall it. I really didnt have high hopes that it would work since they were the primary source of the problem. And I was right! After following difficult instructions, the virus remained. My last hope prior to reformatting was to remove it manually.

I tried to research from the net on how to eliminate the virus. Upon searching, websites like Symantec and Trend Micro popped out in the search results. Upon going to the sites, I realized that the virus was so efficient in doing its job because those sites were blocked and could not be accessed at all. And so I had to search some more.

Luckily, I found a forum board that was discussing on how to manually eliminate the virus from my system. It was so detailed that it was suggesting that I had to edit the registry of my OS to completely eradicate it. And so I did.

And that's when all hell broke lose. Everytime I tried to open up the system registry, it would close the window in a flash. I was so upset and frustrated that when I tried to access the task manager to just end the processes even if it would make my system unstable, it wouldnt let me. Even the task manager wouldnt come out.

And so I had to spend the last day of my 9-day vacation from work in front of the computer to reformat, reinstall all the softwares and reconfigure my pc. What a total waste of time! Do these people even know the trouble they're causing other people?!? The time that I spent could have been used for more relaxation. But noooooooooo! This had to happen. They had to happen.

People like these should be hung, beheaded, shot by a firing squad and burned at the stake. I'd be happy to see their heads served to me on a silver platter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home