Tuesday, November 01, 2005

On Turning 18

Written Oct 4, 2005

Long gone were the days when I can still say I am young and vibrant. A few days have passed since my last birthday and I'm now 18 (plus 10... shhh!). A new chapter of my life is unfolding but before that, just a few thoughts on my year that was:

- I learned that having a lot of credit cards will make you stay up all night thinking of all your debts and where to go shopping next.

- I learned that you cant get away with everything by being charming. Sometimes you have to yell at people in order to get what you want. Like when you yell in a fastfood chain, you get a free burger.

- I learned that no matter how stringent I workout everyday, I will forever live with my lovehandles. I just need to make them live up to their name and we'll get along fine. It's either that or I go under the knife.

- I learned that it's not attractive when someone asks for your name in the locker room and his hair dryer is blowing at your face.

- I learned that my dermatologist is no different than a vaccuum cleaner. A sucker for money.

- I learned that diamond peels dont work.

- I learned that even if I overdose myself with Glutathione, my color will stay the same.

- I learned that all it takes to look your best is to wash your face with a facial soap, apply a toner, put on a moisturizer, put on a pore minimizer, damp it with an anti-oil solution and finish it off with a perfectly good lighting. And then wipe your face with an oil-control film every 30 mins or whenever necessary.

- I learned that riding a chartered plane is not my idea of fun.

- I learned that riding a banana boat is even worse.

- I learned that the fire alarm in our office building is never reliable. It rings during drills but never on earthquakes and when the building is really on fire.

- I learned that calling people any term of endearment will be mistaken as hitting on them even if you totally have a different sexual preference.

- I learned that I can tell people I won the lottery 5 times and there still will be some who would believe.

- I learned that it only takes one smile for a person to stalk you forever.

- I learned that cigerette smoking is dangerous to my health, but still dont care anyway.

- I learned that I can eat a Big Bacon Classic with everything on it plus an extra patty together with a Bacon Mushroom Melt, Biggie Fries, Biggie Iced Tea and a Biggie Frosty in one sitting if Im not on a diet and still wont feel guilty.

- I learned that a cellphone can be a very expensive paperweight when you dont get calls or messages.

- I learned that booking a trip will never be easy

- I learned that no amount of technology can make our government institutions any more efficient
than they were a decade ago.

- I learned that relationships at work is the same as politics. There will never be permanent allies and permanent enemies. Everyone will attempt to grab power and stay in it.

- Finally, I learned that my highest high the previous year was my trip to the beach with my partner and my lowest low was... I cant even remember. It was fairly a good year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home