Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Onli In D Pilipins

Written Sept. 23, 2005

I tried calling DFA's (Department of Foreign Affairs) Hotline the other day to have my passport renewed since I'm planning to go out of the country next month. According to them, for just a minimum fee of P1,300 they'll do the processing themselves and I wouldnt have to lift a finger. They will pick up all the required documents at home and then deliver the passport once it's ready right at my doorstep. Well... Process my ass!

I hate it when some incompetent agency promises too much and cant deliver on to their promise. I availed of the service and was promised the moon and the stars, but did they keep it? Of course not! What can you expect from the incompetent institutions of a horrendously corrupt nation?!? Absolutely nothing... zero... empty... Nah-dah!

Of course the first time I heard their spiel, I was swept off my feet. I was amazed that this third-world nation with exotic inhabitants are actually capable of providing that kind of service. So knowing the little lazy bummer that I am, I said "Yes" with a "please". And there it was, the following day the courier came to my house, woke me up from my deep slumber in the middle of the afternoon and was asking for my documents. I happily obliged. With cobwebs in my head, I signed some forms, submitted my old passport and thumbprinted on some piece of paper that I really didnt bother to read. I was soooo sleepy at that time that if it was an admittance of guilt over some heinous crime, it didnt bother me much. I just wanted to get it over with and get back to bed.

The following day, I got a message on my phone from DFA asking for a callback. I did. The person on the other line was, uh, yeah, courteous as expected. And so I asked the purpose of his existance, "I got a message asking me to call. What's the problem?" He said, "Sir, we're asking you to come to our office and make a personal appearance on Tuesday between 8am to 10am." At this point you can just probably imagine how my face turned red and how I was spontaneously combusting. And knowing it would be senseless to argue with a telephone representative, I just banged my head on the wall and pulled all my hair out.

Why do they want my personal appearance? I know tens of thousands of my fans would want that too, but I dont intend to grace their office with my presence. I mean falling in line for hours just to get a freakin document is not glamorous one bit. And to think I paid for a service that promised to make life E-A-S-I-E-R. Sigh! Truly onli in d Pilipins...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home